I wanted to do another somewhat involved costume after missing last year. Initially I thought nightcrawler would be fun but I don't have black hair and wearing blue body paint isn't much fun with clothes on. Thankfully Spiderman 2 had just come out so Doc Ock was born.
The little adapters to connect that flexible tubing to rectangular downspouts worked well for giving me something squarish to bolt to the rest of the costume. And since I'm an EE and know the pains that conduit can save, I ran some tubing through the arms to make pulling wires and whatnot a whole lot easier.
Once I was happy with that I filled the tubes with "Great Stuf" expanding foam adhesive. It hardens pretty stiff, sticks to the plastic tubing, and isn't quite as hard to work with as whatever that green crap I used in the Duff cans was. While it dried I had to prop up the "conduit" tubing so it came out of the general center of the arms. It had a tendency to want to move to the side.
Krylon metalic spraypaint worked pretty well for the arms. It looked better than just grey but did tend to pool and drip more than I would have expected from spray paint. A few coats and we're on to detail work.
Starting off I was very careful about not slopping any of the paint up too high on the edges of the silver rings, but towards the end I realized that no one is going to see it in a party, and if they do they're not going to care. And if they care they're not likely to be someone I want to know or associate with.
Yes, those are magic cards.
A slab of really thick foam protected me pretty well for the night. It was about two inches thick but I don't know anything else beyond that. We had it lying aound our house. I have no idea why.
Eventually I ended up just chucking the whole metal frame. Instead I just screwed the straps directly into the hunk of wood, which made the whole contraption fit better under the jacket. With the metal frame on it tended to poke up beyond my shoulders or around my side making me look like I was wearing a backpack under my jacket. It might not have been a problem for a wider/taller guy. Sans frame and we're golden.
3/4 inch bolts with lockwashers held the arms in place without a hitch. I just ran them through one side of the round to square adapter thingies and tightened them down. They did bounce and move a little bit but the plastic was plenty strong without having to do any reenforcing.
Ever stylish, you can see Zack here sporting an all vinyl brown trenchcoat purchased from good will for $3.50. This was the look I remembered from the movie even though I guess the Doc there spent most of his time running around in a "wife beater". I never gave much thought to the purple and green color scheme of the cartoon/comic outfit.
Oh yeah, since you can see the arm bonking me in the head in the one picture I ended up mounting the arms a little higher on the board later on. Couldn't go too high though or they'd get caught on doorways. A delicate balance.
Zee Goggles, Zey do nosing! Old welders goggles off of ebay. I paid a little more because I wanted goggles that were already brown and not obviously made of plastic, but if I were to do it again I think I'd get some plastic ones and just paint them. These tended to dig into my forhead when not over my eyes and the elastic didn't like to stay in place.
Wood and carpenters staples ended up working pretty well. Since I don't have any fine woodworking tools I just used a chopsaw and some guessing to get the angles and curves just right on the claws. It did occasionally take a big chunk out of the wood but it didn't matter much once they were all painted. The staples left a gap between each wood segment but that ended up working pretty well since it let the claws flex a bit if they ever got caught on anything.
A 4 inch hole saw cut out the disks to mount each pincher of the claw and left a nice hole in the center for eventually mounting the lights. Three of the four clwas are identical but I wanted the one above my head and looking forward to stand out so it's open. Just spinning the middle wood section of each pincher opened it up pretty well.
I tried to use screws or nails to mount the pinchers to the disk but that just succeeded in breaking some of my prototypes. Wood glue ended up working the best.
Wire thread easily through the conduit in the arms, hooray for planning ahead.
A cool old knife switch - think Igor and Frankenstein - I found around the house worked to control the lights. I ended up never turning them off and they weren't that bright but it definately added something to the costume to have them there. If anything I'd consider adding more but I didn't have any more bulbs and it was only a few days to halloween so this is what I've got.